[mythtv-users] HULU and screen blanking

Jay Foster jayf0ster at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 14 15:06:33 UTC 2010

On 4/14/2010 2:23 AM, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 6:26 PM, Michael T. Dean
> <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>  wrote:

>> >  Speaking of which, using the solution his new screensaver support uses
>> >  inside your Hulu desktop start script would allow basically the kind of use
>> >  you want.  See
>> >  http://portland.freedesktop.org/xdg-utils-1.0beta3/xdg-screensaver.html  and,
>> >  specifically, the suspend command.  Order of calls would have to change (as
>> >  you'd have to start Hulu desktop and/then/  call xdg-screensaver suspend .
>> >    Implementation is left as an exercise for the reader.:)
>> >
>> >  Mike
> I can't help myself:
>
> After you lauch HuluDesktop you can query xwininfo to get the
> xwindowid as follows:
>
> user at host%: xwininfo -name "Hulu Desktop" |grep id\:|cut -d' ' -f4
>
> this can sent to xdg-screensaver to suspend the screensaver.
>
> That's if you have xdg-utils installed.
>
> -JohnnyJboss

I was just using Firefox to watch Hulu, but after reading this thread, I
decided to install huludesktop.  I have it working, and discovered that
the ~/.huludesktop configuration file has the following entries:

[screensaver]
suspend_script = (null)
resume_script = (null)

Would it be simpler to add something here to suspend/resume the
screensaver?  Or does this not work for some reason I have yet to discover?

Jay