[mythtv-users] HULU and screen blanking

Kevin Ross kevin at familyross.net
Wed Apr 14 23:03:17 UTC 2010

> > I can't help myself:
> >
> > After you lauch HuluDesktop you can query xwininfo to get the
> > xwindowid as follows:
> >
> > user at host%: xwininfo -name "Hulu Desktop" |grep id\:|cut -d' ' -f4
> >
> > this can sent to xdg-screensaver to suspend the screensaver.
> >
> > That's if you have xdg-utils installed.
> >
> > -JohnnyJboss
>
> I was just using Firefox to watch Hulu, but after reading this thread,
> decided to install huludesktop.  I have it working, and discovered that
> the ~/.huludesktop configuration file has the following entries:
>
> [screensaver]
> suspend_script = (null)
> resume_script = (null)
>
> Would it be simpler to add something here to suspend/resume the
> screensaver?  Or does this not work for some reason I have yet to
> discover?
>
> Jay

Supposedly Hulu Desktop already uses the xdg-screensaver command.  From the
Hulu Desktop README:

SCREENSAVER ISSUES
  Currently, xdg-screensaver [suspend,resume] is being used to control the
  screensaver when video is being played back in full screen (not in menu
mode).

  For some users with screensavers that don't work with xdg-screensaver, you
  can specify commands for Hulu Desktop to run instead it wants to
suspend/resume
  the screensaver during playback.  They exist under [screensaver] in
~/.huludesktop