[mythtv-users] Netflix under MythTV

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Apr 9 16:18:24 UTC 2010

On Friday 09 April 2010 10:03:18 am Allen Edwards wrote:
> I have seen some discussion on integrating Netflix Streaming in a Myth
> system. Perhaps I can get some help, or be of help.
>
> I have set up a menu selection that runs VirtualBox and fires off Windows
>  XP and Netflix.  I can then stream instant movies.  The problem is they
>  jitter so badly nobody will watch them.  The sound is fine (digital), but
>  the picture is jerky like you would expect if the machine lacked CPU
>  power.  I am using a AMD 5400+, Mythbuntu 8.04 and Myth 0.21.  VirtualBox
>  version 2.1.2.

Wow, that would take a long time to bring up VirtualBox, then XP, then Netflix.
I'd be too impatient to put up with that.

> In a recent post, someone said that VirtualBox will run 99% of raw CPU
>  power but I would expect my 5400+ to have enough power to stream.  Help
>  would be appreciated.

I'd have a look at your XP VM and see if it's pegging CPU, or perhaps lacks
RAM.

You might also want to try Netflix using one of the "approved" methods to see
if your network connection is fast and clean enough to provide Netflix well. If
that works you can start looking into problems with your VB instance and the
VM running XP.

Do you have anything controlling CPU speed on your VirtualBox machine?

One thing I've discovered running PlayON under VirtualBox: The underlying OS
does not ramp up the CPU speed when PlayOn needs it. I get stuttering with
Hulu unless I manually speed up the CPUs on the machine running VirtualBox.
This is a recent development, I didn't have to do that until recently. I think
Hulu and/or PlayOn has done something that ups the CPU requirement.

So you might see what happens if you max the CPU speed on the box running
VirtualBox manually, or adjust the throttling thresholds.