[mythtv-users] Maximum length of cables for USB<>Serial DirecTV control?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sun Apr 4 23:20:07 UTC 2010

On 4/4/2010 18:21, Yan Seiner wrote:
> Scott Harris wrote:
>> I've read the various specs for USB cable lengths, and it seem that
>> going the 25-30 feet I need to go shouldn't be an issue, so long as
>> I'm willing to get better grade cable or add some sort of powered
>> repeater hub in the middle.
>
> The limit is 14 feet and the signal is digital.  It either gets there
> or not.  There is no difference in quality.

The spec actually lists 5 meters (16.4 ft).  It has nothing to do with
signal quality, but rather the round-trip delay limit of 1500ns.  Of
that limit, only some 50ns is allocated to cable delay, so it's
theoretically possible you could get by with longer cables if you have
quick devices.  I have a friend who claims success at some 75ft with a
custom cable built out of CAT6, but understand that it is entirely 'your
mileage may vary'.