[mythtv-users] Hauppauge PVR 350 and LIRC setting up

Marc Chamberlin marc at marcchamberlin.com
Thu Apr 1 00:20:14 UTC 2010

On 3/31/2010 2:54 PM, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Marc Chamberlin
> <marc at marcchamberlin.com>  wrote:

>>> Not so sure about lirc 0.8.5 working here. I believe there were
>>> numerous i2c changes in 2.6.31 that made lirc_i2c non-functional, and
>>> they weren't fixed until after lirc 0.8.5 was released. I could be
>>> misremembering though. dmesg output from lirc_i2c module load time
>>> would likely say for sure.
>>>
> I also fail at reading. You said you were getting key presses, just
> not into mythtv. However...

Sorry for the confusion Jarod - I haven't gotten as far as getting
mythtv configured for running from a remote yet... Trying to take baby
steps to get there, so right now I am focused on getting the lirc daemon
to at least recognize the key presses from my Hauppauge remote... And so
far, using either ircat or irw I can only see that it is responding to
just the numeric and volume up/down keys. None of the other keys, for
example channel up/down produce any response yet...

(This project will get even more interesting too... I got two other
remotes that I am going to want lirc to handle for me as well, but one
remote at a time....)
> ...your dmesg output shows ir-kbd-i2c binding to the ir receiver, not
> lirc_i2c. That makes a significant difference. The
> lircd.conf.hauppauge config file is for use with lirc_i2c. For
> ir-kbd-i2c, assuming the key map is correct for your remote, you'd
> need to use lircd.conf.devinput, and tell lircd to use its devinput
> driver mode pointed at the appropriate /dev/input/foo, rather than
> using its default driver mode (lirc kernel driver) pointed at
> /dev/lirc0.

Ok now you lost me! And I apologize for my beginners ignorance.  What is
a key map?  Is that the .lircrc file that I have to set up for mythTV?
Over in the /usr/share/lirc/remotes/devinput directory I found a file
named lircd.conf.devinput, is this the file I should copy to
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf?

I am using SuSE 11.2 which comes with a tool called YaST that has a
utility to configure the TV card and part of that sets up the
configuration for the lirc daemon. This configuration file is located at
/etc/sysconfig/lirc  and I noted that YaST configured the
LIRC_MODULE="ir_kbd_i2c" but it sets the LIRCD_DRIVER="/dev/lircd"
Under /dev I see a link for lircd -> /var/run/lirc/lircd and  under
/dev/input I see a number of devices (event0 event1 ... event7 ir (ir is
a link to event7) mice mouse) and sub directories (by-id by-path) whose
purpose I don't comprehend....  Should I point the LIRCD_DRIVER to one
of these?

Thanks again for your patience and help...   Marc..