[mythtv-users] Hauppauge PVR 350 and LIRC setting up

Marc Chamberlin marc at marcchamberlin.com
Thu Apr 1 00:42:39 UTC 2010

On 3/31/2010 5:20 PM, Marc Chamberlin wrote:
> On 3/31/2010 2:54 PM, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Marc Chamberlin
>> <marc at marcchamberlin.com>  wrote:

>> I also fail at reading. You said you were getting key presses, just
>> not into mythtv. However...
> Sorry for the confusion Jarod - I haven't gotten as far as getting
> mythtv configured for running from a remote yet... Trying to take baby
> steps to get there, so right now I am focused on getting the lirc
> daemon to at least recognize the key presses from my Hauppauge
> remote... And so far, using either ircat or irw I can only see that it
> is responding to just the numeric and volume up/down keys. None of the
> other keys, for example channel up/down produce any response yet...
>
> (This project will get even more interesting too... I got two other
> remotes that I am going to want lirc to handle for me as well, but one
> remote at a time....)
>> ...your dmesg output shows ir-kbd-i2c binding to the ir receiver, not
>> lirc_i2c. That makes a significant difference. The
>> lircd.conf.hauppauge config file is for use with lirc_i2c. For
>> ir-kbd-i2c, assuming the key map is correct for your remote, you'd
>> need to use lircd.conf.devinput, and tell lircd to use its devinput
>> driver mode pointed at the appropriate /dev/input/foo, rather than
>> using its default driver mode (lirc kernel driver) pointed at
>> /dev/lirc0.
>>
> Ok now you lost me! And I apologize for my beginners ignorance.  What
> is a key map?  Is that the .lircrc file that I have to set up for
> mythTV?   Over in the /usr/share/lirc/remotes/devinput directory I
> found a file named lircd.conf.devinput, is this the file I should copy
> to /etc/lirc/lircd.conf?
>
> I am using SuSE 11.2 which comes with a tool called YaST that has a
> utility to configure the TV card and part of that sets up the
> configuration for the lirc daemon. This configuration file is located
> at /etc/sysconfig/lirc  and I noted that YaST configured the
> LIRC_MODULE="ir_kbd_i2c" but it sets the LIRCD_DRIVER="/dev/lircd"
> Under /dev I see a link for lircd -> /var/run/lirc/lircd and  under
> /dev/input I see a number of devices (event0 event1 ... event7 ir (ir
> is a link to event7) mice mouse) and sub directories (by-id by-path)
> whose purpose I don't comprehend....  Should I point the LIRCD_DRIVER
> to one of these?
>
> Thanks again for your patience and help...   Marc..

Oh boy, now my confusion level just deepened! I thought I was getting
output indications from my Hauppauge remote when I was running IRCAT or
IRW...  But I just accidentally discovered that in fact I get these
indications of a key press from the remote in a plain shell. In other
words the few keys that seem to work, act as if they are simply the same
as pressing the corresponding key on a real keyboard! So I am guessing
that this "key map" config file, whatever that is (help?) must somehow
map all the buttons of the Hauppauge remote into either simple keys or
possibly strings? I think I need a pointer to some documentation that
describes this... And on how these "key map(s)" gets mapped to different
applications, such as for mythTV or xine or....

    Marc..