[mythtv-users] mythbuntu and nvidia 6200

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 04:34:02 UTC 2009

> When I run sudo nvidia-xconfig I get:
> Validation error:  data incomplete in file /etc/x11/xorg.conf.
> Device section "configured video device" must have a driver line.
>
> Sh: pkg-config:  not found
> Backed up file '/etc/x11/xorg.conf' as '/etc/x11/xorg.conf.backup'
> New x configuration file written to '/etc/x11/xorg.conf'
>
> Do I need to edit something to get this to work?  Or am I interpreting this
> wrong?

The list owner has asked that everyone post their replies at the
bottom rather than the top of the previous post. Also remove
everything except what you are specifically replying to. This makes
the archives much more legible and usable for the many people who will
read it later.

It seems like your old xorg.conf file was corrupt for some reason.
That is probably why you have been having trouble. It looks like
nvidia-xconfig created a new file for you. So things should be working
with the new one. If you want to be sure you can move xorg.conf
somewhere else and run nvidia-xconfig to have it create one from
scratch. Also you generally need to reboot after installing the video
driver to allow the kernel module to be loaded. If you want to see if
the changes to xorg.conf are going to work you need to restart the
xserver. I generally do this by restarting the login manager like
this: sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart.