[mythtv-users] Is NVIDIA worth the bother?

Andy Wettstein ajw1980 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 16:49:48 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 11:28:27AM -0400, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 11:04 AM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
> >> And then re-building the driver any time you upgrade the kernel.  And
> >
> >    This is only necessary for me if I decide to install the nvidia
> > driver outside of the package manager. If I use a release version of
> > the driver that's in the repositories, the driver modules will be
> > sorted out by the package manager.
>
> How well this works depends on the distribution you use.
>
> At the moment, on Debian unstable, the latest precompiled binary
> drivers for nvidia are the 173 series drivers for kernel 2.6.26.
> Meanwhile, the default kernel is at 2.6.30, so you either need to
> downgrade the kernel or compile your own drivers from source.

If you use the packaged versions of the nvidia driver from debian, you
can use module-assistant to build the kernel package.  Usually this gets
the job done (as root):  m-a a-i nvidia

You can add the -l option to specify to build for a different version of
the kernel.

You may need to run 'm-a prepare' first.