[mythtv-users] Is NVIDIA worth the bother?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Fri Sep 25 15:28:27 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 11:04 AM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
>> And then re-building the driver any time you upgrade the kernel.  And
>
>    This is only necessary for me if I decide to install the nvidia
> driver outside of the package manager. If I use a release version of
> the driver that's in the repositories, the driver modules will be
> sorted out by the package manager.

How well this works depends on the distribution you use.

At the moment, on Debian unstable, the latest precompiled binary
drivers for nvidia are the 173 series drivers for kernel 2.6.26.
Meanwhile, the default kernel is at 2.6.30, so you either need to
downgrade the kernel or compile your own drivers from source.

Eric