[mythtv-users] OPen source video card support (Was:Is NVIDIA worth the bother?)

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Sep 25 15:34:13 UTC 2009

Eric Sharkey wrote:

>If there's a card with an open source driver that works and gets the
>job done with 70% CPU load and another card with a binary blob driver
>that gets the job done with 6% CPU load, I'd go with the open source
>one every time.

Unfortunately that's not likely to happen at all now.

Thanks to the bunch of <insert your own derogative term> in the movie
studios, and Microshaft bending over and taking it, pretty well any
decent video cards now are NOT going to have an open API and are NOT
going to be documented and are NOT going to be easy to reverse
engineer a driver.

In order to be "Vista certified" a video card needs to incorporate
stuff designed to make then less reliable as well as having
undocumented stuff that the real driver can use to detect if the card
is being tampered with. The end result is that we aren't likely to
see any decent cards with enough published documentation to write a
proper open driver.

And all this <insert expletive of choice> to implement HDCP.

--
Simon Hobson