[mythtv-users] VGA -SCART and interlace (2x)

John reidjr at btconnect.com
Sun Sep 20 14:35:52 UTC 2009

Paul Gardiner wrote:
> John wrote:
>> I've recently moved to trunk, to try the interlaced (2x)
>> "de-interlacer".
>>
>> I have a sony 100Hz CRT, and I'm playing back BBC 720x576 interlaced
>> over a VGA to SCART cable. my modeline is 720x576 interlaced. My
>> video card is an NVIDIA 6200. Quality on slow scenes is excellent,
>> but I cant see much if any improvement between using the interlaced
>> (2x) and none. Anybody else got this working ? Is there an arcane
>> combination of "sync on " settings that I need to use ?
>>

>> If it just doesn't work with NVIDIA cards, please reply, then I can
>> stop wasting my time !
>
> What you should see is "none" works fine for a bit and then jumps into a
> strange out-of-sync mode, where everything moving has combed ghosts. The
> idea of Interlaced (2x) is to look identical to "none" but not go out of
> sync.
>
> The reason you're seeing no problem with "none" might be because the
> program is actually progressive (although marked in the stream as
> interlaced). I'm sure I've been seeing a lot of such content lately.
> Best thing is to try "none" for an extended period to see if you ever
> come across the out-of-sync mode. The News and sports programs still
> seem to be interlaced. It's very noticable (well unbearable to watch).
>
> Another possibility is that your TV can recognise the out-of-sync
> interlace (when you are using none), and put it right (being a
> 100Hz set, it will have some sort of deinterlacing facility).
>
> One other possibility is that you've run into the nVidia driver problem
> with interlaced modes that has been mentioned here. I think that
> would cause a halving of your vertical resolution. If that's the
> case, the picture quality should be very much worse than watching
> a program live on the TV without Myth.
>
> Paul.

Paul,

Thanks for the reply.  What I was doing was moving between autodetect,
interlaced and progressive under the menu. The picture looks the same
with interlace (x2) and Progressive (no -interlacer ) set. Same affect
when I choose none as the interlacer under the TV settings menu.

Looks like I need another graphics card, or an Big LCD Tv :-).