[mythtv-users] HDMI over IP

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Wed Sep 16 11:46:44 UTC 2009

Nick Rout wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 2:43 PM, Allen Edwards
> <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> There is a transmitter and a receiver. They must be doing something to
>>> the stream. The pdf datasheet says "AV  signals  are transmitted
>>> digitally over the CAT5/6/7 cable without any signal loss. Internal
>>> JPEG  video  compression  adapts  to available network bandwidth  if
>>> needed."
>>>
>>> Whatever that means, the second sentence seems to imply some
>>> processing/compression.
>>> _
>> It sounds like they are just using Cat5 cable and not an IP protocol.
>
> Yes it does, but their own advertising specifically disclaims that, eg:
>
> "Not an HDMI Balun, but an HDMI over IP system. This means you can
> create your own A/V Ethernet network and all of the recievers will
> find the transmitter automatically. It may even be used over smaller
> existing house networks and low cost LAN switches and routers."

Doesn't this break one of the basic tents of HDMI? I thought that the signal
path had to be secure from end to end, so that no 'pyrates' could tap the signal
and make off with their precious IP?

If you turn the signal into genuine TCP/IP (as opposed to the other sort of IP)
then anyone can leech the signal and figure out how it all works.

--

Mike Perkins