[mythtv-users] OT: Audio Recommendations

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Sun Sep 13 15:38:14 UTC 2009

Mark Garland wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Quick (slightly off topic) question - although I know you must have made a
> similar decision for your setups.
>
> I have a MythTV setup connected to my Toshiba TV via DVI->HDMI, with the
> audio running over a 3.5mm jack lead.  The audio is integrated on the
> motherboard which is:
> http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?Produ
> ctID=2995
>
> The audio sounds pretty good on the TV, but I know that TV speakers will
> never be brilliant.
>
> I am trying to choose which route to go to improve the sound.  They need to
> have a reasonably high WAF (which cuts out 5.1 or above - maybe a nice 2.1
> system), and the aim here is to get quality rather than volume (I live in a
> terraced house and don't want to become unpopular!).  A means of
> automatically shutting off when not being used would also be good.

Oh for the days when speakers were actual furniture rather than
technogeeky boxes.....

:-)

I've always been partial to the large-ish speakers.  I have a pair of
Bose 401 (from before Bose became a junk marketing company and actually
made speakers) and they look good as well as sound good.  I used to have
a pair of AR -3a's that had real walnut cabinets....

Anyway, if you can get a set of speakers that complement your decor, go
for it.  My rear channel speakers act as side tables for the sofa; a
good place for magazines and drinks.  (buy cheap ones so you don't mind
spilling your favorite adult beverage on them.)

I'd say for TV listening, which is pretty limited, buy speakers that are
attractive and not overpriced.  Pretty much anything will be better than
the crap they put in TVs.

For the amp, do yourself a favor and buy a T-amp.
http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/t-amp_e.html  Nothing will even come
close for the value.  And I mean *nothing*.

--Yan

--

   o__