[mythtv-users] OT: Audio Recommendations

Mark Garland mythtvusers at markgarland.co.uk
Sun Sep 13 15:18:51 UTC 2009

Hi all,

Quick (slightly off topic) question - although I know you must have made a
similar decision for your setups.

I have a MythTV setup connected to my Toshiba TV via DVI->HDMI, with the
audio running over a 3.5mm jack lead.  The audio is integrated on the
motherboard which is:
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?Produ
ctID=2995

The audio sounds pretty good on the TV, but I know that TV speakers will
never be brilliant.

I am trying to choose which route to go to improve the sound.  They need to
have a reasonably high WAF (which cuts out 5.1 or above - maybe a nice 2.1
system), and the aim here is to get quality rather than volume (I live in a
terraced house and don't want to become unpopular!).  A means of
automatically shutting off when not being used would also be good.

My options:
1) Buy some computer speakers
Something like: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/74747
2) Buy an amp and some speakers.
I don't want to spend masses, but would this give a higher quality result?
I am concerned that £100 buys you top-end computer speakers, whereas perhaps
a mediocre amp?

Also, in terms of connections, should I stick with my tried and tested 3.5mm
jack?
I could use the "Support for S/PDIF In/Out" on the motherboard.  Is this
easy? (I read a lot of people having issues with this).  Is it worth it?
Does it get rid of the annoying hiss you normally get on amplified speakers?

All advice appreciated, even if just a hardware list and your experiences.

Thanks,

MG
-----
"The most overlooked advantage of owning a computer is that if they foul up
there's no law against whacking them around a bit."