[mythtv-users] [mythtv] Tagging recordings....

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Sep 9 17:04:02 UTC 2009

<Moving to the -users list>

On 09/09/2009 09:41 AM, Gary D Walborn wrote:
> I suppose that this has been mentioned before, but MythTV should tag
> files with enough info to import the file into the system (and the
> database).  I'm not sure if the nuppelvideo format support tags.  I'm
> quite sure that all the mpeg formats do.  I suppose a separate file with
> tags would be better than nothing, but that should be an option.  I ran
> MythTV for a couple of years and recently upgraded the system, skipping
> several versions.  I backed up my database but have been unable to get
> hundreds of recordings in the new version.  If I try to import just the
> recording info (not the entire database), I get a message that columns
> are missing.

That's because, as described at
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Partial_restore_of_a_backup
:

Note, however, that it will only work if the backup schema version is
identical to the schema version used by the currently-installed mythbackend.

I added additional information and instructions for how to do a partial
restore when also changing versions.  (But it's probably too late for
you, now.)

>   If I import the whole database, the new version does not
> seem to be able to upgrade the database to the new version (I get
> repeated upgrade messages even though I select "Upgrade" from the
> dialog.  It MUST be easier to import pre-existing files into MythTV.
> This is very frustrating.

Please show me exact errors from the log file.  You should see 2 prompts
asking if you want to upgrade.  The first before the backup, the 2nd
after the backup (and allowing you to stop if the backup failed).
Therefore, depending on how many "multiple prompts" you see, everything
may be working fine.  (Note, also, that you'll get a prompt for
upgrading the MythMusic DB schema version when you start
mythfrontend--we haven't got prompts for other plugins, yet, though.)

I recommend going back to your old-version database backup and doing a
full restore.  Also, and *most importantly* the upgrade to current
trunk's database schema version takes a *long* time.  (
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/396252#396252 ).  Do
not stop it mid upgrade or you will corrupt/break your data.

Note, also, that there is no difference going between 0.21-fixes and
trunk or going between 0.18 and trunk--the same path is followed, but in
the former case, it's just been done in gradual steps.  Therefore, it's
highly unlikely there are problems with the procedure used in the Myth
code as it's been very well tested by a lot of users.

Mike