[mythtv-users] POLL *** How many people on the list are running UK combined Freeview and Freesat setups?

David Knight dlknight at sdf.lonestar.org
Mon Sep 7 17:59:21 UTC 2009

On Mon, September 7, 2009 12:49 pm, Andre Newman wrote:

> On 6 Sep 2009, at 14:06, Another Sillyname wrote:
>
>> I think there's only about a dozen of us but I'd be interested to see
>> if it's more and what set-ups people are running.
>
> I've got a Nova T500 and two Nova S plus cards for Freeview and
> Freesat, works pretty well with only the odd scheduling duplicate that
> I haven't quite got to the bottom of. I'm running a user job to fixup
> ITV HD, used to have one for BBC HD audio but don't need that anymore.
> All cards configured for 4 multirec virtual tuners, had 19
> simultaneous recordings going once, just to see if it would, it did.
> Two 1TB and one 1.5TB drives dedicated to MythTV, 2GB ram 2.4Ghz core
> 2  quad cpu but the server does do everything, mail, web server, file
> server, network monitoring.
>
> Not much experience of the frontend as I watch all TV via a PS3,
> MythTV is my sole source of TV, haven't turned my freeview receiver on
> in years. Have used the Mac FE on a laptop the odd time to watch tv in
> bed while ill. I sometimes fill a firewire drive with TV shows when
> I'm going to be working away from home for a few weeks but usually
> watch with VLC.
>
> I also have a slave backend at a friend's place with another Nova S
> plus connected to a switch with 19E and 13E, really only used
> experimentally, good for CSI in HD from HD Suisse with original
> American audio and recording German shows to help me learn German,
> this runs either MythTV 0.21-fixes as a slave BE or VDR 1.7.8. Helluva
> listings page when that lot is running and record on any channel is
> dangerous as you never what language a show will be in!
>
> Separately I have an experimental dual boot Windows7 RC1/ Ubuntu 9.04
> machine with a Nova HD S2 card which I have VDR on, I'm trying to get
> Trunk running on it but no luck with the mythbuntu weekly builds yet.
> I just got a HVR4000 to swap out for this and the HD S2 will go in the
> 19E & 13E slave backend. I have tried JYA's VDPAU 0.21-fixes port on
> this as a FE but VDPAU with a 9400GT isn't anywhere close to the PS3
> for image quality.
>
> I also setup a system for another friend, he has a Nova T500 and a
> Nova HD S2, one 500GB drive and a Nvidia ION board as remote frontend
> netbooting minimyth using VDPAU. He ditched his Sky+ box when it's PSU
> blew up the day he left on honeymoon, he came home to find that his
> experimental MythTV system had saved his bacon with his new wife by
> recording all her favourite shows while they were away :-)
>
> About to build another Freesat/Freeview system for yet another friend
> as soon as his tuner cards (Nova T500 and a Nova HD-S2) arrive.
>
> Very keen to see 0.22 working with DVBS2, the re-written scheduler and
> the uPnP improvements, I'm sure there's much more but those are the
> things that will bring improvements for me.
>
> Andre

Hey Guys,

   I'm also running with a Nova T-500 and a single Nova S card, I tend to
only use satellite for channel 5 (poor reception on freeview) and BBC
HD. Occasionally I watch ITV HD, its a shame as they have had some good
programming e.g. Bill Connolly (Journeys to the edge of the world),
also tend to watch football (England and Man U only).

   I like the ability to set a preferred input in the scheduler which
ensures that Fifth Gear and Gadget show always get recorded from
satellite and also duplicate programming on BBC HD/BBC1/2 gets recorded
in HD due to channel preferences.

   Recently I've noticed BBC HD recordings playing up on playback, Myth
believes the recording has finished around 10-20 minutes before it has.
Rewinding briefly and pressing play well the "end of playback menu" is
on the screen sorts this one out. I will update to latest SVN and
search the mail-list if it still causes problems.

   Anyone know what hardware will be required to pick up Freeview HD or
will we be lucky and just need updated drivers/software?

Regards

Dave K.