[mythtv-users] POLL *** How many people on the list are running UK combined Freeview and Freesat setups?

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Mon Sep 7 11:49:48 UTC 2009

On 6 Sep 2009, at 14:06, Another Sillyname wrote:

> I think there's only about a dozen of us but I'd be interested to see
> if it's more and what set-ups people are running.

I've got a Nova T500 and two Nova S plus cards for Freeview and
Freesat, works pretty well with only the odd scheduling duplicate that
I haven't quite got to the bottom of. I'm running a user job to fixup
ITV HD, used to have one for BBC HD audio but don't need that anymore.
All cards configured for 4 multirec virtual tuners, had 19
simultaneous recordings going once, just to see if it would, it did.
Two 1TB and one 1.5TB drives dedicated to MythTV, 2GB ram 2.4Ghz core
2  quad cpu but the server does do everything, mail, web server, file
server, network monitoring.

Not much experience of the frontend as I watch all TV via a PS3,
MythTV is my sole source of TV, haven't turned my freeview receiver on
in years. Have used the Mac FE on a laptop the odd time to watch tv in
bed while ill. I sometimes fill a firewire drive with TV shows when
I'm going to be working away from home for a few weeks but usually
watch with VLC.

I also have a slave backend at a friend's place with another Nova S
plus connected to a switch with 19E and 13E, really only used
experimentally, good for CSI in HD from HD Suisse with original
American audio and recording German shows to help me learn German,
this runs either MythTV 0.21-fixes as a slave BE or VDR 1.7.8. Helluva
listings page when that lot is running and record on any channel is
dangerous as you never what language a show will be in!

Separately I have an experimental dual boot Windows7 RC1/ Ubuntu 9.04
machine with a Nova HD S2 card which I have VDR on, I'm trying to get
Trunk running on it but no luck with the mythbuntu weekly builds yet.
I just got a HVR4000 to swap out for this and the HD S2 will go in the
19E & 13E slave backend. I have tried JYA's VDPAU 0.21-fixes port on
this as a FE but VDPAU with a 9400GT isn't anywhere close to the PS3
for image quality.

I also setup a system for another friend, he has a Nova T500 and a
Nova HD S2, one 500GB drive and a Nvidia ION board as remote frontend
netbooting minimyth using VDPAU. He ditched his Sky+ box when it's PSU
blew up the day he left on honeymoon, he came home to find that his
experimental MythTV system had saved his bacon with his new wife by
recording all her favourite shows while they were away :-)

About to build another Freesat/Freeview system for yet another friend
as soon as his tuner cards (Nova T500 and a Nova HD-S2) arrive.

Very keen to see 0.22 working with DVBS2, the re-written scheduler and
the uPnP improvements, I'm sure there's much more but those are the
things that will bring improvements for me.

Andre