[mythtv-users] Mythtv users with Comcast HD cable boxes (Chicago?)

Kevin Hill khill at vnetwork.com
Thu Sep 3 18:46:22 UTC 2009

Hi,
I'm using Comcast cable QAM + a SD cable box going to a pvr 500 with
Comcast near Chicago. I'm getting tired of losing 1/3 of my resolution
watching letterboxed shows on SD channels. If I get an HD cable box, can
it downconvert 720p and 1080i content to 480i widescreen svideo output I
could record with the pvr 500 and at least reclaim a full 720x480 pic on
widescreen content?

I'll probably upgrade to an HD-pvr, but want to wait until 0.22 is
final, and want to see if the HD channels seem decent before committing
even more money...

Also, can anyone in the Chicago area confirm if there are any of the
extended basic channels available from the firewire output? do current
boxes all have firewire out?

thanks for any insights,
-kevin