[mythtv-users] OT: Recommendation on Nvidia Card

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 16:36:09 UTC 2009

> No, he tried to use the Composite video adapter cable specific to his FX5200
> card.
>
> As noted on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-Video - the 7-pin Din connector
> on the FX5200 probably used pins 5 and 7 for the Composite video, and thus
> had no passive components in it's adapter cable.  Since the 8600 doesn't
> have the same pinout and/or doesn't output composite video directly, that
> cable does not work on the 8600.

Ahh I see. So the cable that came with the FX5200 wasn't actually an
S-video to composite converter. It was just mapping some extra pins
that were outputing composite video to a composite connector.

> But the passive adapters Drew and I have noted will work fine in this case,
> as they combine the standard S-Video output from the card into a composite
> video signal.  So as far as the GFX card is concerned, it's outputting
> S-Video.

Yeah that makes sense now. I used the same ones with my FX5200 for a
while, but like I said earlier I ended up just selling the TV without
S-video inputs and got one that had them.