[mythtv-users] OT: Recommendation on Nvidia Card

Jeff junk_inbox at verizon.net
Wed Sep 2 16:20:05 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 11:41 AM, Johnny <jarpublic at gmail.com> wrote:

> >>   Another option would be a pasive S-Video -> Composite adapter - they
> can
> > There are much cheaper ones:
> > Don't know how they compare to the Radio Shack ones.
>
> I believe this is what he was already using and having problems with.
> His manufacturer's website explicitly said that no S-video to
> composite converters will work.

No, he tried to use the Composite video adapter cable specific to his FX5200
card.

As noted on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-Video - the 7-pin Din connector
on the FX5200 probably used pins 5 and 7 for the Composite video, and thus
had no passive components in it's adapter cable.  Since the 8600 doesn't
have the same pinout and/or doesn't output composite video directly, that
cable does not work on the 8600.

But the passive adapters Drew and I have noted will work fine in this case,
as they combine the standard S-Video output from the card into a composite
video signal.  So as far as the GFX card is concerned, it's outputting
S-Video.

J-e-f-f-A