[mythtv-users] Video files start playing then freeze [NOT EXACTLY SOLVED]

Dave M G martin at autotelic.com
Sat Oct 31 16:38:50 UTC 2009

Travis,

Thanks for responding.

I haven't exactly solved the issue, but I've worked around it.

First, I found that I could play video in Mplayer outside of MythTV, so
it seems the problem is with MythTV + Mplayer.

I ran mythfrontend from the command line, and that way caught some error
messages. There was something about PulseAudio having a bug that causes
pausing in Media Player.

I looked it up on the web, and it seemed like it was it supposed to be
fixed, but I guess not in my case.

I also found out that I could change the default media player, and I
selected to use "Internal".

I wanted to use Xine, but I couldn't get it to actually play back video.
The command I used was:
xine -pfhq --no-splash

So, in the end, I now have videos playing in MythTV with the "Internal"
player. But it's not ideal, because the fast forward and other buttons
don't behave the way I'm used to.

I'd like to get it back to Mplayer as my default, but I guess I'll have
to wait for PulseAudio bugs to get solved. Which, given how sound
support is so flaky on Linux, I imagine will be a while.

--
Dave M G