[mythtv-users] 0.22 The .iso / Storage groups problem

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Fri Oct 30 18:41:27 UTC 2009

> The main advantage is you don't have to setup the frontends, but that
> is only an advantage if *all* of your videos are in storage groups. If
> you do the hybrid setup it actually becomes a disadvantage because now
> you are doing the local setup and the storage group setup. The other
> main advantage of storage groups is being able to distribute your
> video library storage across your network, but if you have all your
> videos on one system then that isn't an advantage. So in general it
> would be easier and simpler to just go without storage groups rather
> than doing the hybrid approach.

You know, I was thinking the same thing reading this thread....what's
the advantage if you have to do twice the work? However then you said
something, and then it clicked in my mind. As you said, storage groups
allow you to distribute the video library across the network. I
imagine the hybrid setup could be valuable there. It could be a pain
having to mount multiple systems onto each other. Each system would
also have to be running a copy of the NFS server. However, with
storage groups, you could just setup your master backend to run the
NFS server and have all the ISOs stored there. Then all the other
machines only need the NFS client and would only need to mount one
system. All your non-ISOs could then be distributed as you please.

--
Ron