[mythtv-users] latest recommendation for VDPAU PCI card

Greg Grotsky spikeygg at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 03:11:24 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 10:44 AM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>wrote:

> On 10/28/2009 10:35, James Stembridge wrote:
>
>> 2009/10/28 Greg Grotsky<spikeygg at gmail.com>:
>>

>>>   I tried an 8400GS to begin with after hearing all the whoop-de-doo on
>>> VDPAU.  I realized right away that it was not what I expected so I
>>> returned
>>> it and purchased a 9500GT (this one) and I've been using it since June.
>>>

>> What problems did you have with the 8400GS? As far as I can tell it
>> should be better than the 9500GT for VDPAU.
>>

> That used to be the case, when only the late rev 8400GS was capable of VC-1
> decoding.  Now the bitstream decoding that was lacking in the other cards is
> performed inside the driver, and it doesn't matter.
>
> As to other problems, the 8400GS is a bit underpowered to manage high
> resolution complex deinterlacers.  Consult the multitude of mailing list
> threads, and wiki entries for more information on that.

Raymond nailed it.  I really wanted to use advanced deint, the 8400GS didn't
have enough... hutzpa.  The 9500GT does 2x, no problem.

 I thought it would be better to have a passive heatsink than to have the
power, I was wrong.  In fact, it was a forced upgrade because my old passive
heatsink nvidia card gave up the ghost when the caps above the hot chip
busted open (1.5 years old).

-Greg