[mythtv-users] latest recommendation for VDPAU PCI card

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Wed Oct 28 16:44:40 UTC 2009

On 10/28/2009 10:35, James Stembridge wrote:
> 2009/10/28 Greg Grotsky<spikeygg at gmail.com>:
>
>>    I tried an 8400GS to begin with after hearing all the whoop-de-doo on
>> VDPAU.  I realized right away that it was not what I expected so I returned
>> it and purchased a 9500GT (this one) and I've been using it since June.
>>
> What problems did you have with the 8400GS? As far as I can tell it
> should be better than the 9500GT for VDPAU.

That used to be the case, when only the late rev 8400GS was capable of
VC-1 decoding.  Now the bitstream decoding that was lacking in the other
cards is performed inside the driver, and it doesn't matter.

As to other problems, the 8400GS is a bit underpowered to manage high
resolution complex deinterlacers.  Consult the multitude of mailing list
threads, and wiki entries for more information on that.