[mythtv-users] Debugging plugins

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 21:41:48 UTC 2009

Hi

2009/10/30 Stephen Robertson <stephengrobertson at gmail.com>:
> I'm trying to set up a development environment to start having a
> tinker with Myth.  I'm working with kdevelop(3.5.5) at the moment on
> the basis that I had seen it mentioned that at least one person on the
> list is using it with myth.
>
> After a fair bit of fiddling and wrong turns I have a project setup
> for mythtv.pro.  This builds and I can step through the code of
> mythfrontend and all seems to be fine.  However I'm interested in
> looking at mythgallery, I can build that no problem but I don't know
> how to debug it.  I saw that you can pass a plugin name to
> mythfrontend but that doesn't seem to be working for me, and also I'm
> not sure how I would then step through that in the other project.  Do
> I need to attach to the process once it is running or something like
> that?

I use kdbg for that kind of stuff.

Load executable mythfrontend ; then run it.
Press break ; and load the source code you want of your pluging. Put
your breakpoint, run.
Then navigate to the plugin, it will start debugging.

Mind you, kdbg is pretty poor when it comes to debugging (and most
stuff I've seen for linux is like that). When doing step by step run,
it often jumps to another thread and you loose your current progress.
It takes a little while to properly debug most routines in myth
because there are threads everywhere.