[mythtv-users] Recording Channel Change Does Not Always Work - Suggestions For How to Debug?

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 20:30:37 UTC 2009

2009/10/26 Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com>:
> Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> says:
>> > Also, why would the channel changing work better on live-tv than when
>> > recording?  I would have thought they called the same function.
>>
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/402953#402953
>
> This doesn't apply to Robert's issue as it involves FireWire, not
> over-the-air.

Thanks for the correction. Only excuse is that it was very late...

> If you were using an external channel-changing script that invoked
> '6200ch' I'd tell you to look at that, as '6200ch' has an -s option
> that may (or may not) make channel changing more (or less) reliable,
> but given your mention of looking through the MythTV code I presume
> you are not. So, do try using 6200ch with/without the -s flag and see
> if it helps.

Perhaps not directly applicable to that script (and I previously
thought FW changing was essentially perfect), but two modifications I
made to the LIRC channel changing script I was using to control my STB
were:

i) use a wrapper script to background the actual channel changing
script, and to allow returning quickly to MythTV - this sped up LiveTV
changes a lot (although when using IR there is no way to verify if the
STB changed channel correctly or not); and
ii) carry out the channel changing in triplicate to help ensure
against any dropped digits. I use a 4s pause between successive
attempts, and haven't missed any recordings since implementing this.

Not sure if this adds anything to the thread, but might help others
who search and see the thread title.

Cheers,
Nick

--