[mythtv-users] Recording Channel Change Does Not Always Work - Suggestions For How to Debug?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Oct 26 20:05:38 UTC 2009

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 11:32:07AM -0700, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> says:
> > > Also, why would the channel changing work better on live-tv than when
> > > recording?  I would have thought they called the same function.
> >
> > http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/402953#402953
>
> This doesn't apply to Robert's issue as it involves FireWire, not
> over-the-air.
>
> Robert, I've been using Firewire with my MythTV set up for four years
> now and other than (very) occasionally in the first year or so,
> changes have always been rock-solid; certainly more reliable than the
> IR blaster I used with my old TiVo.

    If there is some means for you to validate what channel you've tuned
too (or not) then add that to your change script. I found I had to do that
with USB-serial control of one of my DTV boxes. Once I did that, it turned
out that I was having more tuning issues with my other box than I realized.

    Now my script does a loop of "change channel - check channel" rather
that just assuming all went well.