[mythtv-users] OT: cheap tuner / remote combo?

Devin Heitmueller devin.heitmueller at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 03:32:50 UTC 2009

On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 11:05 PM, Harry Orenstein <holists at verizon.net> wrote:
> Just noticed that Fry's has the Nero Liquid TV / Tivo PC package on sale for
> $60.  I'm not suggesting that anyone should run Tivo rather than MythTV, but
> the package includes a Hauppauge HVR-950Q (w/ all cables) and a USB
> transceiver (receiver and blaster) with DVR remote.  I know that the HVR-950Q
> is supported in Linux, not sure about the transceiver.
>
> There is an unpacking list with pictures here:
>
> http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2008-11/unboxing-nero-liquid-tv-tivo/
>
> And the LinuxTV shows support for the HVR-950Q.  It even comes with 12 months
> of Tivo data (not sure if it can be used in Linux).  I guess at a minimum
> playing with the Liquid TV app with Tivo data could be interesting for a year.
> The price of a tuner, remote and transceiver would be more than $60
> separately.  If the remote is supported by Linux it seems like a good deal.
> Anyone have any experience with this hardware?
>

> -- Harry O.

Yup, personally I've got *plenty* of experience with that tuner.  ;-)

The 950q works with MythTV.  MythTV needed to be changed to support
analog with the 950q, and that was checked in a couple of weeks ago
(specifically, MythTV had to be extended to support UYVY video).

The remote control isn't supported under Linux though.  I just never
got around to adding RC support to the au8522 driver, and admittedly
it's not very high on my TODO list.

Cheers,

Devin

--