[mythtv-users] What are people using to get RSS fed videos like Revision3 and others?

Norm Dressler mlists at dressler.ca
Thu Oct 22 18:08:54 UTC 2009

Robert McNamara wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 10:30 AM, Norm Dressler <mlists at dressler.ca> wrote:
>
>> Robert McNamara wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 10:10 AM, Norm Dressler <mlists at dressler.ca> wrote:
>>

>> I was using Mirobridge but Miro no longer works with the version VDPAU I've
>> upgraded too (190.42 I believe).  It hasn't been 'stable' for me so looking
>> for another solution that I can set direct feeds into.
>>

>> Miro and Mirobridge don't make any modifications to the video.  The
>> videos you download will be identical no matter what you use to get
>> them.  Miro and Mirobridge are merely a conduit to get them in to
>> myth.  Anyway, most of the Revision3 stuff is (even with their highest
>> quality feed) easily playable with even a low end CPU, why not just
>> use software decode?
>>
>> Robert
>>

>> Sorry you misunderstand my requirement.  I have a sufficient system to play
>> HD (I currently run an HD-PVR, etc).  No problems there - I'm looking for a
>> plugin or similar that will simply download the videos based on their RSS
>> feeds and a schedule and put them in the Recorded Shows part of my system
>> like Mirobridge did.  I don't need to transcode or change the video I want
>>

> What I am telling you is no other source of getting the material will
> give you a different file-- since you cite a new version of VDPAU as
> your reason for moving away from Miro and mirobridge, I am explaining
> that the file you get from any other RSS inserter will give you the
> same file.  I further explained that if VDPAU was the issue, you
> should play the files with software decode instead.  Perhaps you can
> be more clear about what sort of incompatibility you think you see w/
> Miro + VDPAU?
>
> Robert

I'm using Ubuntu with JYA's repositories for .22.  I have no issues
playing the files downloaded from Miro BUT Miro itself as in the
package, is in conflict with the version of VDPAU.  I'm sure if I went
to the point of download the source or rebuilding the Miro package I
could get it to work but in reality I don't need Miro since I already
know what feeds I want - so I just need a downloader.

So to be clear, Miro's package has a requirement for VDPAU 180 so it
won't install as a package.  Rather then going through the process of
getting Miro working under my config, I was hoping to just drop Miro and
use something that will fetch the videos based on the RSS feeds provided
by the sites.

I've been using .22 on and off for likely a year now and I love it.  The
latest RC is looking great.  I wish I had more free time to contribute
and provide patches or even my own plugins to solve my little problems
but for now it can only be feedback and testing.

Norm