[mythtv-users] The "right" way for non-dev users to test 0.22 RC1?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Oct 21 22:20:59 UTC 2009

Nick Morrott wrote:
> 2009/10/21 Bob Cunningham <FlyMyPG at gmail.com>:
>
>> I'd like to proceed with 0.22 RC1, and help push it toward release, but my
>> system is "contaminated" with my prior unsuccessful mythtv experiments
>> (manual installations, RPM install, MythDora overlay, etc.).  I've removed

The executables will be in /usr/local/bin and they all start with myth*
The libraries are all in /usr/local/lib and all start with libmyth*
There are also libraries in /usr/local/lib/mythtv

(You may find yours are under /usr instead of /usr/local)
There are docs etc in /usr/share but that will get overwritten by new
installs so you can ignore it.

If you install from SVN (build) you should probably use 'configure
--prefix=/usr/local ....' to put things under /usr/local/

There is a page with a script for the required dependencies under Fedora
  10 on the wiki. It will work for Fedora 11 with one or 2 hiccups from
name changes: just look for errors.

You need not only to build the programs, you need to install the daemon
programs, and initialize the database YOURSELF. Jarod Wilson's
instructions, as of Fedora 6 is still a good recipe and checklist.

> You prob want to use the RPM Fusion or ATRPMS builds then (comments
> earlier in the thread).

The pre-built versions is these repos, avoid the detailled install
problems.
DO NOT EVER USE BOTH OF THESE REPOS AT ONCE! You may use one to install
the entire myth suite, and then grab a couple of files from the other,
but do not attempt to mix these on a general basis.

The dependencies script on the wiki is aimed at using atrpms since
rpmfusion did not, until recently, provide the entire myth suite. With a
few name changes, the script should work on rpmfusion too, but you may
have to chase some errors.

Both of them will do the correct installation including the database.

If you want to play with the RC then you probably should got with the
pre-built route.

BUT NOTE: if you have had problems, try the dependencies script to
ensure that you actually have everything. And then confirm that it is
working. From you first post, it sounded like you had hardware problems
with a tuner card. Myth cannot fix that. That has to work FIRST.

Geoff