[mythtv-users] The "right" way for non-dev users to test 0.22 RC1?

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 20:46:14 UTC 2009

2009/10/21 Bob Cunningham <FlyMyPG at gmail.com>:

> I'd like to proceed with 0.22 RC1, and help push it toward release, but my
> system is "contaminated" with my prior unsuccessful mythtv experiments
> (manual installations, RPM install, MythDora overlay, etc.).  I've removed

Running something like:

$ find /usr{,/local} -name "*myth*"

might help to reveal any leftover files before you install cleanly from RPMs.

> what I could find, and have installed 0.22 RC1 from pre-made RPMs (database
> won't create properly) and from source (RPM package build errors).

Please provide details of the database problem. Apologies if you've
already posted this and I've missed it.

> I'd like to start over, and see if I can find a successful path to running
> MythTV.  My only limitation is that my system is a working system, and I
> won't do an OS reinstall.

No reason to have to. I'm running RC1 at the moment on a F11 machine
(built from source).

> 1. What should I check (or nuke) to ensure mysql, apache, and the system
> libraries are ready for 0.22 RC1 (or MythTV in general)?

Qt >= 4.4
MYSQL >= 5.0

> With 0.22 RC1 being a Release Candidate, I'd prefer to work from packages,
> F11 RPMs in my case.

You prob want to use the RPM Fusion or ATRPMS builds then (comments
earlier in the thread).

> 2. Are the developers in agreement that 0.22 RC1 is ready to be tested "as
> if" it could actually become a release?  Or is it really more of a mis-named
> beta?  Would you instead recommend I wait a while on 0.22, and work with
> 0.21-fixes instead?

(A non-dev speaking here...) I think this is the first time an RC has
been released prior to an official release. It is intended to be
tested as a potential release, as the long-awaited release of 0.22 is
imminent that will be based on the 0.22-fixes branch that the RC
release tracks. No more features are to be added, only bug fixes as
and when they are found.

Cheers,
Nick

--