[mythtv-users] Nvidia VDPAU

Ken Bass kbass at kenbass.com
Wed Oct 21 00:03:04 UTC 2009

ryan patterson wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 4:46 PM, mark <markhsa at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I would agree with this.  Users should not be referred to the DEV list on
>> RC1 IMHO.
>>

> I'm certainly not a developer.  But I wont let that stop me from
> throwing in my two cents.  In my mind a release candidate is unstable
> software that is still in development.  Chronologically release
> candidates come before beta releases (which are also unstable and in
> development).  So I don't see how you can expect to run a RC or beta
> release and not follow the -dev & -commits lists.  The textbook
> definition of release candidate is practically: "development version
> for next stable release".

I take the exact opposite view. A release candidate is a version you
want a wider user base to test. The expectation is that there will be
problems but once a release candidate is 'set free', you spend time with
all the various 'support' issues trying to fixup those problems in
preparation for the official release (or the next release candidate).

A release candidate comes AFTER a beta release. Typically a beta release
is to a select group of beta testers. The release candidate audience is
much wider.

I would not even go as far as to call a release candidate a 'development
version'. It is more like the final version 'unless major problems are
found by testers'.