[mythtv-users] Deciding whether to go with storage groups for videos or not with .22

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 15:57:09 UTC 2009

I just set up .22 last night and I am in the process of deciding how I
want to handle my videos. I read
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythVideo_.22_Transition_Guide and I still
had a couple of things that are unclear to me about storage groups for
videos in .22. First of all I have all of my video on one disk right
now and it is in a combined FE/BE. So I don't have much need for any
of the advantages listed in the guide. I do have some of my videos in
ISO format so it seems that the disadvantages outweigh the advantages
for me. However, I am not sure how to properly continue without using
storage groups.

First of all when it refers to using storage groups for videos, does
it just mean the main storage group for the videos? Or does it many
all of the the storage groups including those for metadata/artwork? Is
it possible to leave my videos out of storage groups and have all of
the other artwork in storage groups? Are the storage groups necessary
for all of the new metadata/artwork features added in .22?

Assuming I am going to go without storage groups, what is the right
way to set it up? Do I just not define any of the video/artwork
storage groups, and then define the directories under
FE->Utilities/Setup->Setup->Media Settings->Video Settings->General?
On the other hand if I have storage groups defined will they override
all those directories in that settings menu? Or do I need to leave
those blank, or point them to the same artwork folders as the storage
groups?

Any other general advice on deciding to go with video storage groups
now vs waiting for .23 would be appreciated as well.