[mythtv-users] filesystem choice for an 8TB logical drive.

David Knight dlknight at sdf.lonestar.org
Mon Oct 19 15:13:57 UTC 2009

<snip>

>> I've just converted to 3 x 1TB in raid 5 + LVM + XFS, thoroughly
>> recommended.
>>

> Just as a curious question, having never used LVM, if you can add disks to
> raid5, and the filesystem (jfs/xfs) can be grown, what does lvm give you
> that you didnt already have?

Good question, all the guides I found said to do it this way.

Currently this is on my Fedora 10/KVM server.

/boot (ext2) is on /dev/md0 RAID 1 partition across the 3 x disks.
lvm-group01 is on /dev/md1 RAID 5 partition across the 3 x disks.
lvm-group02 is on /dev/md2 RAID 5 partition across the 3 x disks.

/root (ext4) is on lvm-group01
kvm block devices are on lvm-group01

general storage block device (xfs) is on lvm-group02

These guides were pretty helpful although had to be adapted slightly to my
scenario -

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/LVM_on_RAID
http://www.howtoforge.com/software-raid1-grub-boot-debian-etch

Dave K.