[mythtv-users] NVIDIA ION Future in Doubt

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Sat Oct 17 02:49:34 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 07:59:43PM -0500, Johnny wrote:
> > It doesn't really matter, Nvidia's ARM chips will make great set top boxes
> > fairly soon.
> >
> > http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2009/8/13/2nd-gen-nvidia-tegra-will-be-40025-faster-than-tegra-650!.aspx
> >
> > We don't need Intel for a Myth system.
>
> You are right, but it is unlikely that many OEMs will make
> motherboards or systems if they can't run Windows. But some sort of
> specialized system may be able to be repurposed. But then you we will
> still be dependent on Nvidia releasing some sort of Linux driver with
> Tegra support.

They make weird looking quasi-embedded systems with ITX boards. Perhaps
those same vendors will end up marketing systems based on ARM and Tegra
as well. It's hard to say how something like that might pan out.

You can get some rather exotic looking fanless stuff that designed to
be put in cars or bolted on the back of TVs.