[mythtv-users] Mac Mini Video Acceleration Question (h.264)

TJ Harris tjharris at weaselworkz.com
Fri Oct 9 17:32:37 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 5:23 PM, Scott D. Davilla <davilla at 4pi.com> wrote:
>>> Dream on, it's not really needed and there's a trick under Linux with the
>>> nvidia driver to re-gain 64MBs that the drive steals.
>>
>> I've done that hack, and the FE is still slooooow when switching between
>> menus, starting up movies, etc. Yes, this is with the lowest memory theme I
>> can find, and nothing else running. It works, but trying to explain to my
>> wife that she needs to not hammer the arrow button on the remote is
>> hard..."just wait for it to catch up, honey."
>
> 720p or 1080p display setting ? Not to point fingers but this was something
> that   forced me to move to XBMC as a FE for mythtv. Caching all the user
> screens in memory was a real killer for performance on a RAM limited
> platform. Not sure how it works now.

What do you use to access MythTV content from xbmc?   I have tried
several ways to do that, including the native mythtv protocol support,
python plugins, and mounting the recording directory and playing the
video files directly.   But, none worked reliably for me (except
mounting the video directory, but that has usability/functionality
drawbacks).

With reliable myth access from XBMC + the add-in card for video
decoding, it would make the AppleTV a great little frontend.