[mythtv-users] CALM Act in US

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Oct 14 20:01:20 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 14 October 2009 13:41:05 drew einhorn wrote:
> This reminded me of a story I heard about a broadcast engineer
> at one of the TV stations in New York who kept turning down the
> gain on the Tonight Show audio, then took the elevator to the top
> of the building, and watched lights come on all over the city when
> folks got up to turn down the volume when they got switched to
> a network feed at normal volume.
>
> This was long ago in the days before remote controls.

That was WNBC, the building was the then RCA Building at 30 Rockefeller Center
(Now called the GE Building).

The story may be apocryphal, but it's well-known in the NYC TV biz.

Maybe that's why NBC was the only outfit to have a window at the old WTC
transmitter site, they were on the 104th floor, the rest of us were on 110,
and we had no windows because we needed all the available outside wall space
for air exchangers. I guess NBC wanted a window to repeat the experiment.

CBS was the only outfit to still have space at the Empire State Building,
their Dir. of Eng. had mistakenly signed the lease renewal, and was fired for
it. He had the last laugh, both in 1993 and on 9/11/01.

Then there are the reports of large increases in water demand during
commercial breaks.

Then there's the fact that any FM station can feed the same audio to both
stereo channels, thus sending pure mono, and get absolutely no complaints,
but turn off the 19Khz. stereo pilot, so everybody's little red "stereo"
light goes out, and the phones will light up immediately. I guess people hear
with their eyes.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org