[mythtv-users] Fans

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 17:15:28 UTC 2009

> I am looking for a recommendation for a fan that will be equal or better in
> cooling to my stock AMD Socket AM2 fan but will not make the annoying hum
> the stock fan makes.

You might want to read this thread about my efforts to replace a 70mm
AMD stock fan: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/401853.
Yours is likely a 70mm fan as well and at that size it is difficult to
build them silently, because they have to spin fast to move enough
air. My search settled on a Nexus 70mm fan:
http://www.cooltechpc.com/c/ctpc/std/sku=70mm_OEM.html. This seemed to
be the quietest 70mm fan I could find. It is used on their Nexus heat
sinks. But I really wanted to have a 4-pin fan for the cpu_header
because the best way I have found to silence the fan is to use pwm
control with fancontrol. If I were you I would first look into using
fancontrol and its setup program pwmconfig to see if you can get your
fan quiet at idle. On Ubuntu, fancontrol was quite easy to setup and
it slows my fan down to inaudible levels when the system is idle.