[mythtv-users] Fans

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 16:27:51 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 12:20 PM, Allen Edwards
<allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am looking for a recommendation for a fan that will be equal or better in
> cooling to my stock AMD Socket AM2 fan but will not make the annoying hum
> the stock fan makes.  The unit is on all the time so it should have a long
> service life.  The processor is an AMD 5400+  I can't hear the fan when
> playing a movie but when just sitting there reading, it is very noticeable.
>  Price is a factor so that leaves out the exotics that have been in this
> thread unless I am missing something.
> By the way, this makes me wish I had bought an Intel processor as the 3.2G
> Core2Duo fan sitting next to me right now is almost completely silent.

The difference probably is that the core2 fan is using pwm to run the
fan at 1000RPM or slower when the cpu is cool while the fan on the
5400+ runs at full RPM all the time. There are two options to fix
this.

1) Replace the fan with a slower case fan that has as much CFM as the
fan you replace. Generally this means get a taller fan.

2) Replace the heatsink/fan with a descent replacement. Thermaltake
silent and AC Freezer pro fans are good and cheap.