[mythtv-users] database surgery or not?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Oct 12 03:20:15 UTC 2009

On 10/11/2009 11:00 PM, Gavin Peters wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 07:34:26PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 10/11/2009 07:14 PM, Gavin Peters wrote:
>>
>>> I can't delete these from inside the MythTV user interface: nothing
>>> happens.  The recordings on disk are long gone (I think).
>> Go to Watch Recordings (or Delete Recordings), and hit MENU (M), the
>> Change Group Filter, then select the LiveTV group, then go to the LiveTV
>> group and delete the recordings.
> I guess what I meant by "I can't delete these from inside the MythTV
> user interface: nothing happens" is that I have tried to delete these
> using this, and similar methods, from inside the UI before and the
> result was that Myth did nothing.  I wish I'd communicated that more
> clearly.

So they disappear and then come back?

You won't be able to delete them using a playlist, because the files are
missing, so it won't actually delete them without permission.
Therefore, you need to delete them one by one and answer yes when
prompted whether to delete the metadata since the file can't be found.
You may have to do this /very/ deliberately, too, since the frontend
will attempt to create a preview for each recording, so the preview
generator will try 12 times to open the file before giving up.  During
this time, the state seen by the frontend may /not/ be the correct
rsNotAvailable state, so it may think it's a normal delete and may not
prompt you correctly.  So, highlight the recording, wait a bit
(depending on theme, it may "gray out"), then try the delete.

If you have a bunch of recordings, you can put them all in a playlist,
then MENU|Playlist Options|Change Recording Group and select the Deleted
recording group (or, if not listed, type in the word "Deleted"--exactly
as show (capitalization and all) but without quotes).  Then, run
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/browser/trunk/mythtv/contrib/maintenance/flush_deleted_recgroup.pl?format=txt
with the --force option (though it's trunk, it will work with
0.21-fixes).  Note, however (as stated in the --help text), doing so
will delete /all/ Deleted recordings.  So, if you have a bunch of
deleted recordings you want to keep, before putting the bad LiveTV
recordings in Deleted recgroup, put the Deleted recordings into a
temporary recgroup, then put LiveTV in Deleted, flush deleted with
--force, then put the temporary recgroup recordings in Deleted (no need
to Delete them again, just change their recgroup and you won't have to
worry about changing the "allow re-record" you selected when you
originally deleted them).

Mike