[mythtv-users] > 1TB Hard Drive Recommendations

Dale Pontius DEPontius at edgehp.net
Sun Oct 4 19:37:00 UTC 2009

David Madsen wrote:
>> I went with the recommendation (Hitachi) of the people who lease
>> dedicated servers to my employer, and haven't had a problem yet.
>
> I also have been using 4 Hitachi 1TB drives running 24/7 for over a
> year without any issue.  Recently Newegg had the Hitatchi 2TB drives
> on discount for $169.99 and I decided to pick one up. It's actually a
> full 7200 RPM drive, so depending on whether you are looking for a low
> power "green" drive or not it may work for you.

I think that "the best drive brand" is something that changes with time.
 Once upon a time Seagate drives were the best brand to have.  The
Hitachi drive line was purchased from IBM, and sometimes the DeskStar
line was good, and other times it was known as the DeathStar.

Unfortunately, all of this can only be known in retrospect.

Right now for Myth I'm using Maxtor 200G and 160G in lvm2, no RAID.  My
HOMEs are served over nfs, RAID1 on the server.  One of these days I
would really like to have a RAID1 cabinet with 3 (1TB, but that's a
moving data point.) drives, one full time, and split the other 2 drives
1/3 and 2/3 duty cycle.  The enemy of RAID is identical life histories,
making the first fail increasingly likely to be followed by the second.

Dale