[mythtv-users] HDMI Nvidia card that just works? Audio too?

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Fri Oct 2 20:06:52 UTC 2009

Jongi wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-09-30 at 13:53 -0400, James Crow wrote:
>
>> I have a total of four cards capable of VDPAU. Three of them support
>> SPDIF pass through. One of them (a 9500GT) came with the cable to
>> connect my MB output to the video cards input. The other two support
>> SPDIF passthrough, but did not come with the necessary cable. I was able
>> to pick two of them up from an auction site for ~$10. I have one 8400GS
>> card that does not support audio passthrough and it lacks any input
>> connector.
>>
>> Someone earlier in the thread asked about DVI->HDMI and audio. I have an
>> 9500 card that supports audio pass through but only has DVI output. When
>> I connect it to my TV with a DVI->HDMI cable I get audio through the TV
>> speakers.
>>
>> The one potential downside is that you can lose the ability to adjust
>> the volume from within Myth without decoding/re-encoding audio from
>> within alsa.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> James
>>

> What settings would I need in to enable the sound through the video card
> (9500GT)? My system shows:
>
> mythtv-debian:~# aplay -L
> hdmi:CARD=NVidia
>     HDA NVidia, NVIDIA HDMI
>     HDMI Audio Output
> null
>     Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
>
> mythtv-debian:~# aplay -l
> card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>

> In MythTV (trunk 22096), I currently have:
>
> Audio output device: ALSA:plughw:0,3
> Passthrough output device: ALSA:plughw:0,3
> Max Audio Channels: Stereo
> Upmix: Passive
> Enable AC3 to SPDIF passthrough: unticked
> Enable DTS to SPDIF passthrough: unticked
> Agressive Sound card Buffering: ticked
>
> Thanks
> Jongi

I have mine set to just alsa:default for the output device. I do not
have onboard HDMI, but a SPDIF header on the MB that is connected to the
addon video card. I am almost certain that you will need to have the
cable connected to the SPDIF header and the video card. Then just set
the output to ALSA:default. Your list of audio devices seems rather
small. I would expect to see several analog and the digital ones as
well. aplay -L lists 7 audio devices for me. One of them is iec958 (aka
SPDIF). You may need to upgrade your alsa, but I doubt it if you have
hdmi sound now. One one of my FE machines I had to add an option to the
hda-intel audio driver. Something like card=6-stack. Google should help
you figure out if you need an option.

Cheers,
James