[mythtv-users] HDMI Nvidia card that just works? Audio too?

Jongi jongitech at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 21:40:17 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 16:06 -0400, James Crow wrote:

> I have mine set to just alsa:default for the output device. I do not
> have onboard HDMI, but a SPDIF header on the MB that is connected to the
> addon video card. I am almost certain that you will need to have the
> cable connected to the SPDIF header and the video card. Then just set
> the output to ALSA:default. Your list of audio devices seems rather
> small. I would expect to see several analog and the digital ones as
> well. aplay -L lists 7 audio devices for me. One of them is iec958 (aka
> SPDIF). You may need to upgrade your alsa, but I doubt it if you have
> hdmi sound now. One one of my FE machines I had to add an option to the
> hda-intel audio driver. Something like card=6-stack. Google should help
> you figure out if you need an option.
>
> Cheers,
> James

the lack of analog devices was something that struck me as well. The
card=6-stack option is something I will probably have to investigate.

I am running Debian Sid with the below Alsa drivers installed

mythtv-debian:~# dpkg -l *alsa* | grep ii
ii  alsa-base                            1.0.21+dfsg-1              ALSA
driver configuration files
ii  alsa-source                          1.0.21+dfsg-1              ALSA
driver sources
ii  alsa-utils                           1.0.20-3                   ALSA
utilities
ii  gstreamer0.10-alsa                   0.10.24-1
GStreamer plugin for ALSA
ii  libesd-alsa0                         0.2.41-5
Enlightened Sound Daemon (ALSA) - Shared lib
ii  libsdl1.2debian-alsa                 1.2.13-4+b1
Simple DirectMedia Layer (with X11 and ALSA
ii  libsox-fmt-alsa                      14.3.0-1                   SoX
alsa format I/O library

mythtv-debian:~# cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.20.

The kernel SND options are as follows:

CONFIG_SND=m
CONFIG_SND_TIMER=m
CONFIG_SND_PCM=m