[mythtv-users] Single WD GP disk fast enough for live 720p?

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Mon Nov 30 16:01:37 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 5:23 AM, Marius Schrecker <marius at schrecker.org>wrote:

>  Bit of a B****er. The threads indicate that the behaviour can't be turned
> off in Linux using hdparm (on my  WD15EADS for example), and the  wdidle3
> dos utility will invalidate the warranty.

I'm having good luck with the Samsung 1.5TB "green" drives. I have 4 in a
RAIDZ (about 6months old) with 4 more on the way. Quiet, quick (for
5400RPM), and low power use. If the WD drives don't work for you, I consider
the Samsungs a good option. The reviews for the more recent Seagates seem
pretty good as well, the 1.5TB LP drives look pretty good on Newegg. I'm
still a little wary of Seagate due to the handling of the 1.5TB firmware bug
a while back. Not so much that it existed, but that they tried to tell
everyone it wasn't happening. It irritates me when a vendor lies to me.