[mythtv-users] Single WD GP disk fast enough for live 720p?

Mark Garland mythtvusers at markgarland.co.uk
Mon Nov 30 14:45:26 UTC 2009

>  Bit of a B****er. The threads indicate that the behaviour can't be turned
> off in Linux using hdparm (on my  WD15EADS for example), and the  wdidle3
> dos utility will invalidate the warranty.

Don't let me put you off - the drives have worked very well for me (I have 5
WD drives in various machines (3 Green)).

I think you'll find that most manufacturers have mixed records.  Seagate
were always a favourite of mine until they had the firmware issue, and
IBM/Hitachi were great but the DeskStar series were once known as the
DeathStars.  TBH, I struggle to keep up.

MG