[mythtv-users] Asus Aspire with CentOS 5.4 Audio Problem

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Mon Nov 30 00:06:28 UTC 2009

I recently picked up an Asus Aspire AR1600-U910H for a FE-only MythTV setup.
It's a great little box and with the Nvidia 190.42 drivers installed (from
Axel's ATRPMS repository) VDPAU HD playback is beautiful and hardly touches
the CPU.

But I can't seem to get the audio to work at all. I get nothing over HDMI
audio and seem to only get static over the analog port.

I've installed alsa-kmdl-2.6.18-164.6.1.el5-1.0.21-80.el5 for the latest audio
drivers.

aplay -l says:

$ aplay -l
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662 rev1 Analog]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Then trying:

$aplay -D plughw:0,3 test-6ch.wav
$aplay -D plughw:0,0 test-6ch.wav

Gives me nothing over HDMI but does work over the analog port. But various
guesses at audio settings in Mythfrontend only give me static over the analog
port.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on getting audio to work? What I
really want is HDMI audio.

Thanks,
Kirk