[mythtv-users] Moved Backend/Frontend and Name change, now want a partial restore

John Haywood john at jhit.com.au
Thu Nov 26 23:45:30 UTC 2009

On 27/11/2009, at 4:43 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> You will need to reconfigure /everything/ from scratch.  Only your recordings and recording rules will be restored, and you may have to recreate all your recording rules (depending on rule type and your new channel configuration and ...).
>
> In truth, there's really no benefit to doing a partial restore.  If your system is working, a partial restore won't help anything.  It doesn't do any significant amount of cleaning--/maybe/ about 8kiB per old host that's not recreated.
>
> The partial restore is only really recommended if you have database or schema corruption and need to use it as a last resort.
>
>> What are the implications for the restore regarding the name change? The machine has the same name, but the database was on localhost, and now is on its ip address, is this going to mess the restoration?
>>

> Only the host name of the MythTV frontend or backend system is important.  You can always just set the database hostname or IP address appropriately as it's only stored in $HOME/.mythtv/config.xml or one of the many mysql.txt files scattered around the file system.  (All config.xml and mysql.txt files will need to be fixed, though.)
>
>> Any help or guidance appreciated. i have searched the mythbuntu forums, but the older posts suggest that the root mysql user has a blank password, and this is definitely not the case here
>
> My recommendation would be:  Don't waste your time on a partial restore.  It really won't do anything useful for you and you'll actually lose some information (like the titles used to find new shows and ...).  If everything is working now, enjoy your good database with all its good data.  :)
>
> Mike

Thanks Mike,

The actual hostname of the box has not changed, only the 'internal' (inside myth) from 127.0.0.1 to a real address

Unfortunately, the enjoyment of my current working system is somewhat compromised by the fact that all my wife's old recordings, while available on attached storage, are *not* accessible via MythTV, and asking her to watch '1090_20091123170000.mpg' in the hope that it is indeed last Thursday's Oprah is *not* going to cut it

I'm happy to rename the files and move them into videos, if that were an option, but i can't seem to find a scripted approach to that, either. Hmmm - wonder if I can derive a program name from the file name ....

thanks as always

John