[mythtv-users] Moved Backend/Frontend and Name change, now want a partial restore

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Nov 26 17:43:20 UTC 2009

On 11/26/2009 07:00 AM, John Haywood wrote:
> As the subject says, i have moved my backend/frontend to a new box, a new distribution *and* a new name
>
> The new box is fully functional, but before I start recording and creating rules, I'd like to get my old recordings out of the old box.
>
> The database versions are the same (I was using 0.22 from rpmfusion, now Mythbuntu 9.10 - 0,22)
> i have a backup or three , taken with the new mythconverg_backup.pl
> The mysql password under mythbuntu is a pain - the mythtv user password is OK, as its in a text file, but i can't for the life of me find the db root user, so the following :
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Partial_restore_of_a_backup
> Before performing a partial restore, the database must exist and must have tables. After dropping the mythconverg database:
>
> DROP DATABASE IF EXISTS mythconverg;
>
> run the mc.sql script, as described above. Then, start mythtv-setup to create the database schema. Exit mythtv-setup, and then restore the database:
>
> mythconverg_restore.pl --partial_restore
>
> will not work unless I have the mysql root password
>
> Also, as I understand it, this should only get my recordings and rules back - will I need to reset everything again? (run mythsetup or somesuch?)

You will need to reconfigure /everything/ from scratch.  Only your
recordings and recording rules will be restored, and you may have to
recreate all your recording rules (depending on rule type and your new
channel configuration and ...).

In truth, there's really no benefit to doing a partial restore.  If your
system is working, a partial restore won't help anything.  It doesn't do
any significant amount of cleaning--/maybe/ about 8kiB per old host
that's not recreated.

The partial restore is only really recommended if you have database or
schema corruption and need to use it as a last resort.

> What are the implications for the restore regarding the name change? The machine has the same name, but the database was on localhost, and now is on its ip address, is this going to mess the restoration?

Only the host name of the MythTV frontend or backend system is
important.  You can always just set the database hostname or IP address
appropriately as it's only stored in $HOME/.mythtv/config.xml or one of
the many mysql.txt files scattered around the file system.  (All
config.xml and mysql.txt files will need to be fixed, though.)

> Any help or guidance appreciated. i have searched the mythbuntu forums, but the older posts suggest that the root mysql user has a blank password, and this is definitely not the case here

My recommendation would be:  Don't waste your time on a partial
restore.  It really won't do anything useful for you and you'll actually
lose some information (like the titles used to find new shows and ...).
If everything is working now, enjoy your good database with all its good
data.  :)

Mike