[mythtv-users] Do storage groups care if partition size changes?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Nov 25 02:33:34 UTC 2009

On 11/24/2009 07:26 PM, stefan_jones wrote:
> (NB: I searched the archive for hard drive migration issues; couldn't
> find a thread that addressed this issue. Most older threads concerned
> VLBs.)
>
> My mythbox currently has a 500 GB IDE drive. /boot, /, /home, /video
> and /video2 partitions. The last two are included in a  Myth storage
> group.
>
> I'd like to get a larger hard drive, probably a 1 TB SATA. I plan on
> initially adding it as a second drive, partitioning it exactly as
> above but with larger /video and /video2 partitions. (And temporary
> different names.) After copying over the contents of each partition
> I'd remove the IDE drive. Then I'd rename the new drive's video
> partitions to /video and /video2.
>
> My question boils down to: Will this muck up Myth's "picture" of the
> storage groups? The *content* and *names* of the new partitions would
> be identical, but their sizes would more than double. I suppose it is
> possible that the device name might change since the interface will be
> different.
>
> I would guess that I have nothing to worry about, but I feel safer asking.

No problems at all.  The Storage Group is just a list of directories.
The file system takes care of available (and usable) storage space and
Myth reacts to what the file system says at runtime.

Also, note that newegg is carrying the 2TB Seagates for $139.99 at
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148413 .  I'm
not recommending Seagate or this particular drive or newegg or
anything--just mentioning the price.

Mike