[mythtv-users] SF Bay Comcast Analog Armageddon Has Begun

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Tue Nov 24 16:53:58 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 1:05 AM, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:
>> [Note that the SD HD Homeruns output the full transport
>> stream, so brute forcing the 56 bit (fixed) DES key
>> may occur as a bypass for some.]
>
> Here's a thread on this subject:
>
> http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7331

I'm not sure the assertion in the first post of that thread is
correct: (This simple basic encryption scheme is only for the
"Expanded Basic" or B2 tier, channels 2 through 99 typically in an all
digital system which people are already paying for. If your not paying
for that, then you have a filter on the line or the line is not
connected at the tap, so no worries.)

My understanding for why Comcast was able to convince the FCC that it
could start encrypting these things was to eliminate the need for
these filters allowing them to send the same signal to both basic and
expanded basic customers.

Of course, we all understand that the real reason was the increased
revenue from renting more STBs.

Eric